Monday, August 21, 2006 Wake from your sleep...*

Wake from your sleep...*

Sleep: Etymology: Middle English slepe, from Old English sl[AE]p; akin to Old High German slAf sleep and perhaps to Latin labi to slip, slide1 : the natural periodic suspension of consciousness during which the powers of the body are restored -- compare REM SLEEP, SLOW-WAVE SLEEP2 : a state resembling sleep: as a : a state of torpid inactivity b : DEATH ; also : TRANCE, COMA c : the closing of leaves or petals especially at night d : a state marked by a diminution of feeling followed by tingling e : the state of an animal during hibernation3 a : a period spent sleeping b : NIGHT c : a day's journey4 : crusty matter present in the corner of an eye upon awakening**
After 37.5 hours of sleep in three days, I am again joining the ranks of the conscious. Why do we allow our lives to exhaust us to the point of collapse?
*Lyrics from Exit Music by Radiohead
** Definition courtesy of Merriam-Webster

7 Comments:

Blogger RWA said...

That is a very good question. I do that far too often. I know it isn't good for me, and I hate how I feel when I get that tired, but I still do it.

10:52 AM  
Blogger Doug said...

SLEEP, v.i. To work efficiently. To sleep is to earn the trust of enemies, the scorn of friends, the interest of coworkers and the attention of flying serpents.

12:10 PM  
Blogger Karl said...

Wow, that's a lot of sleep in 72 hours. Hope you're feeling rested and energized again.

1:10 PM  
Blogger Dale said...

It's the anomie? Glad you're awake. Get something pierced, that'll keep you up. :-)

11:05 PM  
Blogger inkyhack said...

Glad you got a lot of sleep. I've had to radically alter my sleep schedule to fit my new job. With my old job, I didn't need to wake up until 9 a.m. With my new one, 6 a.m. Think I'll go to bed now.

12:24 AM  
Blogger One Wink at a Time said...

I have been working the night shift for about 6 months. Sleep has sadly become the focal point of my life. Before, it was something I did. Now it seems to be an all-encompassing necessity. I'm dismayed that my life has been reduced to "sleep time" and "awake time" and not much more. Sleep should never be taken for granted; but abuse, and by that I mean OVER-doing it, By All Means, and whenever possible.

7:14 AM  
Blogger Ellie said...

That is the american way...work work work work, play, work work work. My hubby and I had a discussion, he thinks there should be a federal mandatory 2 week paid vacation in every company...

1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home