Friday, June 02, 2006 The Day of Denim

The Day of Denim

Today I wore jeans to work for the first time. My definition of office casual is a suit without the jacket. Other people in my department wear jeans on casual Friday; it is just a custom that I have chosen to ignore up to today.

I keep my work life and my personal life segmented into two totally different spheres, so much so that I do not allow the people, clothing, or personas of in work/out work to meet.

I wondered if my denim experiment would cause people to treat me differently or illicit comment. Below are the results.

My boss (male): Asked me if “everything was okay?”
The camera training crew that sits near our office (male): Said “hello” for the first time in the eleven months I have worked on this floor
The 30-something year old analyst on the other side of the floor (male): Journeyed across the floor to my office to ask if “I had fun weekend plans?”
The newest Russian analyst (female): asked if I could help her fix her blackberry
Random homeless man in food court: Told me I was ‘lookin’ good’

Conclusion: Jeans apparently make me seem more approachable to men. To authority figures the denim casing implies illness (mental or physical) and a lapse in professionalism. To women (or perhaps just in Russia) denim equals technical knowledge.

I can’t wait for this day to be over….

1 Comments:

Blogger Maigh said...

Funny, while writing with Aaron last night he commented (not verbatim) that my new hair (longer) made me more approachable.

We're evolving. Into what, I'm scared to ask.

2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home