Tuesday, June 13, 2006 Cleanin' Out My Closet...*

Cleanin' Out My Closet...*



On Sunday night, in the grip of an organizational anxiety attack I edited my bookshelves. Purging makes me feel empty (in a good way) and open to new possibilities. I throw out the broken, the obsolete, and the tarnished to make room for the treasured, the new, and the brilliant. As a result of my book purge, the entire cargo section of my Volvo wagon is filled with the refuse that includes the notable titles and genres below.

Six Months Off; Finding Work You Love; Managing Your Manager; Resume Updates - All purchased during my time with a cable channel start-up while reporting to a boss that makes Meryl Streep's character in the movie The Devil Wears Prada look like a saint.
Numerous 'society' tomes on Atlanta - Acquired during my non-profit job, when I spent the days trolling for donors and begging for event sponsors.
Prozac Nation (the only book I have read where the MOVIE is better); More, Now, Again; Better Than Beauty; numerous books by Simone de Beauvoir (most unread) - These books are the carcass of my ill-fated affair with a much older married man looking for a waif/muse. He was not worth the research or the effort.
Zen in America; several books written by the Dali Lama; even more books written by Deepak Chopra - Obviously purchased during my attempt to karma-cleanse after being the 'twenty years younger, other woman'.
Philadelphia Off the Beaten Path: A Guide to Unique Places; Philadelphia (Eyewitness Travel Guides); Streetwise Philadelphia - Precursor to the move to Philly that I backed out of because the boy I was moving for deserved someone who loved him more and differently than I could.
Lovers' I-Ching - Bought at the beginning of my relationship with 'D.' before I realized that I didn't need witchcraft, I just needed to recognize our compatibility.
All my books on marketing - I hated marketing, with the removal of all my reference materials I have finally decided never to go back.

I feel as if I have erased part of the whiteboard in my head and now I have room to write a new story.

* Song from Eminem's CD "The Eminem Show"

5 Comments:

Blogger A said...

The Dali is always good to hang onto...but good for you getting rid of the rest of the crap! And congratulations on sidestepping the married guy. A true friend would never put you in that position.

Ever read any James Elroy, Tristan Egolf?

9:09 AM  
Blogger Anomie-Atlanta said...

No James Elroy, but Tristan Egolf's "Lord of the Barnyard" is on my to read list.

11:41 AM  
Blogger A said...

Lord of the barnyard is one of my favorite books of all time. Don't read the preface -warning - it reads like post-modern drivel. Also, read American Tabloid by Elroy.

Let me know what you thought.

2:48 PM  
Blogger RC said...

Congrats...I love arranging my books, etc. but i don't like to purge b/c i feel like they tell a story of me and what i'm interested in...

but i like to "catagorize" and "alphabatize" instead.

--RC of strangeculture.blogspot.com

5:29 PM  
Blogger Anomie-Atlanta said...

Getting rid of books is hard for me too, but the books I got rid of never told the story of me, they only told the story of who I was trying to be at the time. Good riddance! Thanks for the comment.

5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home